Many a times, bone resorption along with lower bone quality often make it impossible to place dental implants in the upper jaw. Zygoma implants are then advised and anchored in to the cheek bone rather than the upper jaw.
Where is the zygomatic implant placed?
The cheekbone or zygoma which is also known as the malar bone which is technically known as the zygomatic bone is the main anchorage for the zygomatic implant. When implants are planned for the upper jaw, it is normally a difficult situation. The upper jaw poses the following problems:
- Poorer quality of bone available in the upper jaw as compared to the lower jaw due to age or bone resorption.
- Decreased width and height of bone over time.
- The presence of air spaces or sinus in the upper jaw also reduces the available height of bone in the back tooth regions.
Hence, we almost, always have a weak bone in the upper jaw. So when there isn’t enough height of jaw bone to support an implant, the cheekbone is used to take support by providing longer size implants. The advantage of this will be that implants may not get easily affected like a conventional implant from the infection since the size of the implant is longer and the malar bone being thick is resistant to disease.
This method is mainly used for severely resorbed upper jaws and is designed to allow immediate replacement with ﬁxed polymer teeth.
How is a zygoma implant placed?
The zygoma implants are placed for the eating teeth of the jaw and are approached within the mouth, along with the placement of additional implants in the front region of your jaw. If the case is found too complicated or severe, two zygomatic implants may be placed on each side, which is known as Quad Zygoma. In cases of severe complexities, a custom made implant may be suitable.
Advantages of Zygoma Implants
- Teeth are delivered on the same day.
- Bone grafting is not necessary.
- A comfortable procedure.
Who are ideal patients for Zygoma implants?
- Complete loss of teeth in the upper jaw
- Extreme loss of bone in the upper jaw
- Destruction of the premaxilla and maxillary sinus infringement
- Adults and elder adults as well.
- People who desire to chew frequently on hard food.
What is the Quad Zygoma implant?
When four zygoma implants are placed, two on each side it is called Quad zygoma. It provides high strength and excellent support for the restoration of teeth.
What kind of teeth is used for over zygomatic implants?
PEEK frame work with SAPTeeth Prosthesis are ideal for long term use.